Home | Top Skins | Tags | All Skins | Forums | Contribute | About

BlogSkins.com Forums

Forums > General > "blogskins codes to tumblr" (19 replies)
thesockparody.'s icon Author: thesockparody.
Posted: 3.5 years ago
(link)
Just recently, my friend had linked me to a particular tumblr theme, saying how it had reminded her of my blogskins. Upon clicking the link, it automatically reminded me of a blogskin i made in 2009. I was mildly stunned. The alleged 'creater of the tumblr theme' had left a credit along the lines of Tweaked by: xxx and a link to me, as the 'original designer'. However, I find that the only 'tweaking' he had done was a change in font face of the header, nothing much.

I don't know how many of you have faced this issue of plagiarism, whereby your blogskins codes are taken and made into tumblr themes. But I'm really in a dilemma right now - what should I do? I don't know how I'm going to appropriately raise this situation.

Apart from this, I have taken a look at this designer's themes, realizing that it was not the only skin taken from blogskins and 'tweaked' into a tumblr theme. Like here and here. For me, although he has somewhat left credits, it really isn't cool to be doing such things without explicit permission of the designers themselves. And judging from the fact that I haven't received any requests to take my skin and change it into a tumblr theme, I don't think these designers have either.

Please spread this to as many fellow blogskinners as possible. I think it's better to be aware that there are thieves out there, outside of blogskins.com, and plagiarism won't only happen in blogskins.com itself.

dorothyfrenzy's icon Author: dorothyfrenzy
(link)
  There have already been many cases of such plagarism which you mentioned. I guess what you could do is to send a polite message/warning to whoever converted blogskins layouts into tumblr themes. If he/she refuses to take down the themes, I guess you can use the last resort, which is also to contact the administrator of tumblr. Like what you said, these people don't usually ask before they convert the layouts. Instead, after converting them, they credit the original designers with something like 'XXX'.

thesockparody.'s icon Author: thesockparody.
(link)
  Ah, I'm sorry; I've been out of the loop for a very long time, so I'm not sure what has happened, and what hasn't. Thank you for the advice, I'll do so promptly! :)

Honestly though, it really isn't classy at all to do such things. It's quite disheartening to see how little people respect of copyright :l

givemefive's icon Author: givemefive
(link)
  it has been like that.

dorothyfrenzy's icon Author: dorothyfrenzy
(link)
  You're absolutely welcome! Though i doubt I can help much since it's the internet and people do what they wish to. :/

Wintour's icon Author: Wintour
(link)
  Personally I don't think conversion of Blogspot themes to Tumblr ones is an act of plagiarism because the 'tweakers' leave credits to the original designers. Merriam-Webster defines plagiarism as the act of stealing or passing off another person's work as their own, or without proper credit. Based on the definition, the person you set as an example is not technically plagiarising your works.

Some people just convert the themes and leave the original credits be. I've seen one myself, and I was really nonchalant about it.

Either way the decision to reprimand them is up to the original creator. You could tell them to make the credits a lot more visible or something. But yeah, personally, it's not a big deal as long as they leave proper credit and don't edit too much. Just my two cents.

Edit: And oh, if I were in your position I wouldn't want them to ask permission from me to convert the themes. They're just going to edit the tags and stuff just to make it suitable for Tumblr anyway. It's far different from people here on BlogSkins who take base codes and edit the skin and cite the original coders as "Base Codes: ". Actually, think of it this way, people want to use your skins so badly that they'd convert it into something for Tumblr just to use it. But that's just me. :x

Edited 3.5 years ago.

maskeraid.!'s icon Author: maskeraid.!
(link)
  IMO it's not ripping cos the codes set for Tumblr are very different from the Blogspot codes. For Tumblr they have different sets of codes for different posts (e.g. pictures, audio, etc.), meaning slightly more work for the tweakers. So yeah, the appearance may be the same but it you take a look at the codes you'll find it quite different.

aurevoirdarling's icon Author: aurevoirdarling
(link)
  I've been in this a tons of times and it always ends up me asking the user to remove. Try emailing Tumblr's support. I tried once but they didn't reply. And there's nothing we can do actually.

@maskeraid.! They have something to do to immediately change them to Tumblr themes. I asked this girl how she switched my theme to Tumblr and she gave me a link. That link showed us how to instantly switch the codes by removing [Blogger][/Blogger] parts and replacing them with the Tumblr codes.

And I hate this man. I've seen Pui Ling and Nicole's skins turn into some ugly mismatched backgrounds + colours. Yucky max.

(link)
  And some of them don't leave credit by the way. Some. I've seen them.

(link)
  Well, there's that link but I also know of some converters who actually do everything by hand so IDK.

(link)
  i really dk this is just like blogskin rippers who change the background and either way you can do nothing about it can you

(link)
  LOL aurevoirdarling you're really aggressive and determined (to get even on the 'rippers') when it comes to stuff like this; it's really funny.

ohfudge!'s icon Author: ohfudge!
(link)
  Some time ago I was really mad at these kind of people who convert my skins for Blogger to Tumblr without my permission, most especially if they remove the credits. But, I realized it's futile, since so many people do this. So I allow them to use my skin but it should be for personal use only (meaning no submission of the skin to other skin sites) and keep the credits intact.

(link)
  And I still don't get the part "They have something to do to immediately change them to Tumblr themes. I asked this girl how she switched my theme to Tumblr and she gave me a link. That link showed us how to instantly switch the codes by removing [Blogger][/Blogger] parts and replacing them with the Tumblr codes."

Are you saying that you put the code into a generator box and it automatically does all the work for you or is it a tutorial on how to remove the Blogger tags and replace it with the Tumblr codes? Cos if it's a tutorial either way they'll still have to locate the Blogger tags, delete them and replace them with the Tumblr codes, while making sure it doesn't mess up the skin itself.

zheliel's icon Author: zheliel
(link)
  retweet

Edited 3.5 years ago.

(link)
  @Ken Really? I don't know there isn't anything much for me to do so...hah. Trolling 'round.

@Maskeraid.! It was in my old Tumblr acc but I deleted it. :/ She gave me the link in the message. Yeah it's a short tutorial post on how to delete and replace the codes from Blogger to Tumblr. Some people don't get it though lol. It was this random girl's blog and she looked younger than 13. LOL.

evme's icon Author: evme
(link)
  haha it happens to me all the time, I click a random tumblr and ta da! my blogger skins turned into tumblr themes and credited as someone else's. that's why I deleted all my skins on here.

(link)
  lol you realise how important blogskins.com is in supporting tumblr too?

the - havoc // hawiey's icon Author: the - havoc // hawiey
(link)
  i found lots of blogskin submitted here at tumblr-layouts.me. =.=

(link)
  Obviously somebody's not reading. LOL @ the - havoc // hawiey that's the exact website the OP gave.
Subscribe To This Thread: RSS 2.0 or Atom (?)
This thread has been locked, and no new replies can be posted.

Site

- Home
- About
- Feeds
- Privacy Policy
- Contact Us

Skins

- Tags
- Search Skins
- All Skins
- Random Skin
- Skin Of The Day
- Contribute

Forums

- General
- Tips & Tricks
- Help!
- Suggestions
- Skin Requests
- Blogging Software
- Web Hosting

Account

- Register
</BlogSkins>

Warning! Do not follow this link! It is a trap for poorly-behaved bots. If you follow this link, you will be banned from accessing this site and several others. I will not have mercy on you. Do not follow this link!