Home | Top Skins | Tags | All Skins | Forums | Contribute | About

BlogSkins.com Forums

Forums > General > "The Blogskins.com Competition" (58 replies)
♥ooh-'s icon Author: ♥ooh-
Posted: 3.0 years ago
(link)
Blogskins.com Competition is a competition to encourage blogskins users to produce quality skins that are creative, original and innovative.

Details

When? Submission dates are from 23 July to 23 August 2011.
Who? Anybody on blogskins.com can take part.
What? A competition whereby users submit creative, original, innovative and good-quality blogskins for Blogger on to blogskins.com.

Judges for the Competition

Only me. I don't know anyone here now and so I won't be biased towards anyone.

However, if you have been an old user here and I know you, please send me a private message if you'd like to be a judge.
Judges cannot participate

Judging Criteria

Here are some things I look out for in a blogskin. There's no set percentage weight of these criteria, the skin has to be well balanced. These may not be the only judging criteria.

Innovation: A fresh, new, original way of presenting a blogskin

Presentation: The use of design aspects like typography, white space, pictures, flow, etc.

Theme: The use of colors, images, words, text, to express the skin. The general 'feel' of the skin.

Creativity: Self-explanatory

Functionality: The incorporation of the Blogger tags and functions into your skin. For example, next/previous page, archives, latest posts, labels, comments, search bar, etc. The weaving in of social networking sites such as a twitter, cbox, formspring, etc. will also be useful.

Coding: The use of clear, easily-understandable, valid coding, be it HTML, CSS or Javascript. (You can use other languages if you're feeling adventurous, but scripts/extensions have to be hosted somewhere by yourself. I will actually look through the code of skins I have narrowed down to.

Some Notes (Must read)

- The use of images in your skin is not compulsory. I've seen many great skins/designs that do not use images.

- Credit must be given for ALL sources that are traceable. For example, pictures, brushes, base-codes, script libraries, etc.

- For colors, I don't stick to just flowing, matching colors. I consider all color schemes that have aesthetic/design appeal. Be it striking, contrasting, bold, matching, light, etc.

- The skins have to be made for use on Blogger.com. Not tumblr, not wordpress, not xanga.

- If blogskin.com gives you a preview error, provide a link to a blogspot page where your skin is used. There should be posts, archives, and the standard Blogger features

- If you have included Blogger features using their tags, please use a blogspot page to offer a preview of your skin. ALL stated functions have to be viewable on the preview page you provide.

Important Rules

1. Participants can submit as many skins as they want, from only one account.

2. Participants who submit multiple skins cannot win more than 1 prize.

3. Participants who do not credit sources will have their submission rejected.

4. Participants have to provide a write up about their submitted skin, including: Explanation of color scheme/theme, The list of functions the skin supports (Blog post title, blog post date, blog post time, random icon for each post, labels, archive, etc.).

5. Participants who do not state the supported features of their skin will still have their skins judged equally, except for the fact that the judge(s) may not spot all the features you included.

6. Plagiarism is not allowed.

7. Participants are to submit their skins in this thread.

8. Participants have to mail me the link to the post of their submission. (Click the (link) under the Posted: 1 Day ago part)

9. Winners who choose the domain prize have to provide their real details required for domain subscription.

Prizes

1. 1st Best Skin - $20 via paypal, or 2 years custom domain registration.

2. 2nd Best Skin - $15 via paypal, or 1 year custom domain registration.

3. 3rd Best Skin - $10 via paypal, or 1 year custom domain registration.

4. More specific prizes will be added depending on the number of participants.

5. More specific prizes will be added depending on the number of participants.

(Note, domain registration does not come with hosting.)

Edited 3.0 years ago.

Pages: 1 2

(link)
  Submitted Skins

#1 m\ Playground
By: !lollipop
Live Preview: (Link)
"I've been wanting to do a carnival inspired theme for quite a while but I always gave up but when I had this idea I decided to keep going :) I've been having a bad habit of quitting. Anyways, I found an image that looked like what I wanted, a clear view of the carriages to serve as navigations.

I also used a yellow-ish brown throughout this skin because it matched the image quite nicely, and although some of you may describe it as an ugly colour, I like these colours :)

I tried my best to make this compatible on all major servers (it looks pretty much the same, no major stuff ups) but it is best viewed on Google Chrome.

I don't really have that many special functions. Just the basic ones such as archive, blog posts etc. but I have a coloured scroll-bar hence it is best viewed in google chrome."

#2 a.b/ forget-me-not.
By: &akaibara
"First off, i used the title "forget-me-not" as it aptly describes the featured anime, Ano Hana (for short). I used soft colours, yellow and blue, as i wanted to achieve a soft, sweet and slightly melancholic feel to the skin. I also found a good black and white image to work with.

I don't have any mini-icons, but i do have some little symbols used in the blog date and time, as well as for older/newer posts. The basic features of my skin are: blog post title, blog post date/time, back-to-top button, older/newer posts, and navigation sections for a profile, affiliates, archives and a tagboard. The archive sections also features a drop-down menu.

This skin works in Google Chrome and Mozilla Fox. Navigations do not work in Internet Explorer."

#3 * Simple
By: hurr1cane
"I used brown and orange colors because I think that's great combination.
Post Title is maybe different from other. Script give me my budd Aneisha.
Navigation stvle is maybe, too, different from other navigations.
Best view is in Google Chrome ( 1366x768 )."

#4 losing my mind
By: te.alla
"Actually I made this in a sketch on photoshop. But, because I like this design, then I convert it into HTML code. I use a background color look-like use opacity and color such as not using opacity, and it's not a picture. This theme is clean, in my opinion.

I use pink, yellow, orange, and white for this theme because I thought it would match with the wooden background.

This theme is very good at up-to-date browser, but very messy in internet explorer.

This theme uses features: Search box (which works and has been tested), older / newer posts button, Archive, Label widgets, and bloggers usually features, except for the navigaton bar at the top."

#5 Vintage Memories
By: kitty_meow
"Design notes:
This layout was born from a desire to create a vintage-look design, hence the name Vintage Memories. The colour scheme was inspired from a Wordpress theme I created long ago.

Brownish yellow/yellow shades and hues are almost always associated with vintage designs which is why I incorporated them into the layout. Different shades of blue are also used because I feel they complement the yellow/brown colours well. The texts should be legible enough.

I use icons for the RSS Feed and Twitter because I believe the visual aspect of the social network gives a more significant impact rather than using text links. The meta tags are also in for better SEO.

Menus are in different link colours for ease of navigation. Visitors shouldn't have any problems in locating them. The hyperlinks on the menu link to various hidden div layers.

The features:
Embedded comment form beneath the post
Search box
Archive links by month
Label/tag cloud
Older/Newer posts
RSS Feed icon
Twitter icon + Twitter updates (sidebar)
Followers gadget

The layout is cross-compatible in the latest versions of most major browsers (tested on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera), including Internet Explorer 8 as well as on mobile devices using Opera Mini or on iPhone/iPod Touch and Wii browser. Though of course, I fully expect the layout would be rendered slightly different across browsers. The layout is also viewable without major flaws in various resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x800, 1400x900, 1600x1200, 1920x1200. For browsers that do not currently support CSS3, the layout will still degrade nicely. "

#6 In the darkness ☠
By: seicha
"Since I've made my 1st layout with simply softly colors theme,I wanna try something new and I ended up with this Dark layout =D
purely black and I didn't use much colors like usual.
The theme on this layout is "Bleach" (one of my favorite manga ever! )
and all the images and icons is from the Bleach 1stchara 'Ichigo Kurosaki' which is all edited by me."

#7 etreintes
By: teacakehouse
"The color is actually nothing special, I have to say. It's the basic colors consisting of the various shades of black and white. This layout/skin I have made is actually based upon one of my old personal layouts that isn't submitted on blogskins. Sadly I lost the coding to that one haha.

The functions are simple and basic, like the colors. The navigation is at the top and when you click them they lead you to a different "page" without making a difference in the address bar. I have provided archives, blog posts, a small about me section and a larger one for those who like to go all out, comments, tagboard, and follow me link.

This layout was made in Google Chrome, I've tested it in Mozilla Firefox and there the title (In my preview it is "Nothing left in lust") doesn't provide the correct font which is courier new, as well as "Nothing more nothing less" on the sidebar and the post section is out of proportion. Hopefully this layout is still legible though."

#8 31
By: mymostloved
"The usual simple layout and grey shades from me with a contrasting black and white pattern and box links across the top. The only color in this layout is the link hover. No fancy scripts or effects. A clean layout with colors that would do with any type of blogging : plain text or colorful images.

Basic blogger tags included. I have also included blogger tags which I usually remove from my submitted skins; permalink, comments, follow, pagination, search box and archives. Note : remember to set "pop-up comments" and change follow url to your own.

Perfect on Chrome and Firefox, some features slightly misaligned on IE."

#9 what makes you beautiful
By: x_empty
"This skin I made is pretty simple and it has a neutral color scheme, mainly consisting of brown. The skin has a single column navigational layout with a header image. It is not very fancy but it is not too simple either.

I have included blogger tags like blog permalink, archives, newer/older posts and the basics like blog title and date.

I tested the skin on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer. As this is coded on Chrome, it will look best there. It looks good in Firefox and Safari but unfortunately, it is terrible in Internet Explorer."

#10 splishsplashsplosh
By: !CASUALTIES}
"This skin is pretty simple, but I don't think I've seen anything like this before. Colours are pretty simple, and I've always like this colour scheme.
I included archives, permalinks, search box and the front/back post links."

Edited 2.9 years ago.

macarons's icon Author: macarons
(link)
  cash prizes! motivating hehe

thegatecrasher's icon Author: thegatecrasher
(link)
  serious huh.

givemefive's icon Author: givemefive
(link)
  this will bring traffic.

dorothyfrenzy's icon Author: dorothyfrenzy
(link)
  hopefully, there are still people who care enough to do so.

&akaibara's icon Author: &akaibara
(link)
  i... might join O.o
need to go read up a little on HTML5 though~

Edited 3.0 years ago.

!lollipop's icon Author: !lollipop
(link)
  There hasn't been a competition for so long! :)
Thanks for hosting ^^

(link)
  Hopefully this will bring more traffic, and encourage the submission of skins.
Hopefully there will be many participants too.

Kitty_meow's icon Author: Kitty_meow
(link)
  I don't know if I'll be joining. Too busy building e-commerce websites for clients. :/

%Nemo's icon Author: %Nemo
(link)
  This is cool! I might just enter this. :O :D

d-readed!past's icon Author: d-readed!past
(link)
  this is an awesome idea!

te.alla's icon Author: te.alla
(link)
  serious? :O

(link)
  Why wouldn't I be serious

(link)
  if i'm entering this contest, can i remove some blogger tags like blogger-labels and navigation-bar?

(link)
  " if i'm entering this contest, can i remove some blogger tags like blogger-labels and navigation-bar? "

Your skin is your skin. You can remove anything and add anything you want.

Bloodcast's icon Author: Bloodcast
(link)
  The prizes are really appealing Shawn!

(link)
  Then join, Helena :)

(link)
  Bump

(link)
  My submission :)

I've been wanting to do a carnival inspired theme for quite a while but I always gave up but when I had this idea I decided to keep going :) I've been having a bad habit of quitting. Anyways, I found an image that looked like what I wanted, a clear view of the carriages to serve as navigations.

I also used a yellow-ish brown throughout this skin because it matched the image quite nicely, and although some of you may describe it as an ugly colour, I like these colours :)

I tried my best to make this compatible on all major servers (it looks pretty much the same, no major stuff ups) but it is best viewed on Google Chrome.

I don't really have that many special functions. Just the basic ones such as archive, blog posts etc. but I have a coloured scroll-bar hence it is best viewed in google chrome.

Anyways, thanks once again for the competition :)

(link)
  @lollipop, the design looks nice! :D Though the date and time is rather too small.

(link)
  !lollipop, please mail me the post link :) Just like to have a record of skins :)

Also, I noticed you made use of the previous/next blogger tags.
If you'd like to create a preview blog, that'll be good if you have other features too

Edited 3.0 years ago.

(link)
  Competition period extended by 10 days, to 13th August.

MachiShupp's icon Author: MachiShupp
(link)
  Finally something that is beneficial to participate.

(link)
  @!lollipop Is the live preview link here (http://www.blogskins.com/forum/1/304653/1/#304655) correct?

(link)
  yep :)

&akaibara's icon Author: &akaibara
(link)
  Submission!

First off, i used the title "forget-me-not" as it aptly describes the featured anime, Ano Hana (for short). I used soft colours, yellow and blue, as i wanted to achieve a soft, sweet and slightly melancholic feel to the skin. I also found a good black and white image to work with.

I don't have any mini-icons, but i do have some little symbols used in the blog date and time, as well as for older/newer posts. The basic features of my skin are: blog post title, blog post date/time, back-to-top button, older/newer posts, and navigation sections for a profile, affiliates, archives and a tagboard. The archive sections also features a drop-down menu.

This skin works in Google Chrome and Mozilla Fox. Navigations do not work in Internet Explorer.

Live Preview: here!

(link)
  @ &akaibara
Please mail me too, read the first post :)

hurr1cane's icon Author: hurr1cane
(link)
  Submission - www.blogskins.com/info/365279

This skin I made yesterday. Colors are made by me. I used brown and orange colors because I think that's great combination.
Post Title is maybe different from other. Script give me my budd Aneisha.
Navigation stvle is maybe, too, different from other navigations.
Best view is in Google Chrome ( 1366x768 ).

Live Preview - hurr11cane.blogspot.com/

(link)
  @hurr1cane
Your skin doesn't quite work well in Firefox for me. I did view it with Safari and everything was fine though.

Please mail me like the others.

hurr1cane's icon Author: hurr1cane
(link)
  ok

(link)
  @♥ooh- : check your blogskins inbox.

(link)
  Updated with the latest submissions!

(link)
  Hmm, lots of submissions. I might come up with something and join this. :D

givemefive's icon Author: givemefive
(link)
  i am going to radically post a gif

Edited 3.0 years ago.

(link)
  Submission: www.blogskins.com/info/365481
Live preview: eternalitia.blogspot.com

Design notes:
This layout was born from a desire to create a vintage-look design, hence the name Vintage Memories. The colour scheme was inspired from a Wordpress theme I created long ago.

Brownish yellow/yellow shades and hues are almost always associated with vintage designs which is why I incorporated them into the layout. Different shades of blue are also used because I feel they complement the yellow/brown colours well. The texts should be legible enough.

I use icons for the RSS Feed and Twitter because I believe the visual aspect of the social network gives a more significant impact rather than using text links. The meta tags are also in for better SEO.

Menus are in different link colours for ease of navigation. Visitors shouldn't have any problems in locating them. The hyperlinks on the menu link to various hidden div layers.

The features:
Embedded comment form beneath the post
Search box
Archive links by month
Label/tag cloud
Older/Newer posts
RSS Feed icon
Twitter icon + Twitter updates (sidebar)
Followers gadget

The layout is cross-compatible in the latest versions of most major browsers (tested on Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera), including Internet Explorer 8 as well as on mobile devices using Opera Mini or on iPhone/iPod Touch and Wii browser. Though of course, I fully expect the layout would be rendered slightly different across browsers. The layout is also viewable without major flaws in various resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x800, 1400x900, 1600x1200, 1920x1200. For browsers that do not currently support CSS3, the layout will still degrade nicely.

Edited 2.9 years ago.

x_empty's icon Author: x_empty
(link)
  Hey, when is the deadline? Like 0000h, 13th August or 2359, 13th August?

aurevoirdarling's icon Author: aurevoirdarling
(link)
  Good luck to all participants. :)

seicha's icon Author: seicha
(link)
  submission

since I've made my 1st layout with simply softly colors theme,I wanna try something new and I ended up with this Dark layout =D
it’s all black and I didn't use much colors like before.
The theme on this layout is from the popular anime "Bleach" .
Images and icons is all edited by me.
Some Features on my blog are : back to top button,archives,comment part,and scroll-bar color.
The navi position sometimes make a distance depends on the resolutions screen (I use 1024x499)
But the layout is actually work fine .
Best on Google Chrome
Fine on Mozilla & IE

Live preview: here ☠

Edited 3.0 years ago.

(link)
  seicha, is your write up the one on the page you linked? The description?

d-readed!past, please have a write up and PM me. Read the rules on the first post.

x_empty , Leen? Oh well. For the deadline, if it's 13 August, submit it any time on 13th august (11:59pm). I'll close registration after the deadline and submissions after it will not be accepted.

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 23RD OF AUGUST!!
This is to get more participants.

x_empty's icon Author: x_empty
(link)
  oh yay, i was kind of rushing to get my submission done.

Pages: 1 2

Subscribe To This Thread: RSS 2.0 or Atom (?)
This thread has been locked, and no new replies can be posted.

Site

- Home
- About
- Feeds
- Privacy Policy
- Contact Us

Skins

- Tags
- Search Skins
- All Skins
- Random Skin
- Skin Of The Day
- Contribute

Forums

- General
- Tips & Tricks
- Help!
- Suggestions
- Skin Requests
- Blogging Software
- Web Hosting

Account

- Register
</BlogSkins>

Warning! Do not follow this link! It is a trap for poorly-behaved bots. If you follow this link, you will be banned from accessing this site and several others. I will not have mercy on you. Do not follow this link!