Home | Top Skins | Tags | All Skins | Forums | Contribute | About

BlogSkins.com Forums

Forums > Help! > "How to use your downloaded blogskin [Guide]" (132 replies)
yurihime's icon Author: yurihime
Posted: 11.0 years ago
(link)
Ever since we started http://www.photokicho.com we've had our inboxes flooded with "I've downloaded your layout on blogskins but I don't know how to use it... help me?!" So a few months back I wrote a tutorial on how to do so, now I'm posting it here (About time too!). Screenshots are included, click on the link or copy the link location into your browser window.
photokicho help.

In this tutorial, we will cover:
1) Uploading Images
2) Changing the code
3) Uploading to blogger.com

1) UPLOADING IMAGEGS
You need to upload the images onto your own server. People read that sentence and go "I don't have a server!!!"
That's fine. There are many websites that offer free Image Hosting. We use Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com/), but there is also ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us) that offers free Image Hosting. In this tutorial, we will be using Photobucket.

1) First you need to create an account on Photobucket. They apparently only allow free sign ups at certain times of the day (I'm not sure when), but I hope you do sign up at the right time. Just follow the prompts on their site.

2) You need to sign in. You might think this sounds redundant, but you have no idea how many people I've tried to talk through this without them signing in.

3) Click the browse button.
Screenshot: http://www.fulan.com/photokicho/images/tutorials/blog_install/1.jpg
You then find the images that you have already unzipped, and press ok, and then submit. MAKE SURE THE KEEP ORIGINAL PICTURE NAMES IS TICKED. (or else you'll end up with images with names that look like international phonenumbers)

It's up to you whether or not you will name the image or not. I'll be uploading the images from the Dark Magic layout. Repeat this step until all the images in the zip folder/s is uploaded.

That's it! It's all you have to do to upload an image!

Changing the code

OK, now, get the HTML file, and open it in a HTML editor like Dreamweaver or Notepad. The images we uploaded were:

darkmagic_01.gif
darkmagic_02.gif
darkmagic_03.gif
darkmagic_04.gif
darkmagic_05.gif

So now we have to find where the correspoding image is in the HTML.
Screenshot: http://www.fulan.com/photokicho/images/tutorials/blog_install/2.jpg
OK, Photobucket gives you a set of three codes URL, Tag and IMG. You want to copy all the code in the "url" box.
Screenshot: http://www.fulan.com/photokicho/images/tutorials/blog_install/3.jpg For some strange reason in the screenshot I've circled "Tag" instead, but you want the box above that... ^^
Copy the link in the "url" box. Paste that code where the picture is in the HTML. i.e for the image above, I would take the code tor darkmagic_01.gif and paste it on the the spot where it says "darkmagic_01.gif" in the HTML. So, it should go from looking like this:

[IMG SRC="darkmagic_01.gif" WIDTH=900 HEIGHT=150 BORDER="0" usemap="#map"]

To this:

[IMG SRC="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/friendsandfinance/darkmagic_01.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com" WIDTH=900 HEIGHT=150 BORDER="0" usemap="#map"]

*i've used square brackets here, but its meant to be "" instead of "[]"
*The bold bits are the parts that i've (and you should) copy and paste over.
Repeat this with all the images, and then you are done changing the code.

Uploading to blogger

Open a www.blogger.com (http://www.blogger.com/) account. You should come to the "Dashboard" as soon as you log in. It should have your blog listed under the "Blogs" list. Click on the "Change settings" button (it looks like a blue gear) next to the blog you want to change. You should then see four tabs on top (Posting, Settings, Template, View Blog). Click on the "Template" tab and copy and paste all the template code, into the big white box. :)

That's it, now you should have a fully functional blog.
I hope that helped those that are starting out in blogskins... happy blogging!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

myles's icon Author: myles
(link)
  Yay!

(link)
  haha I'm glad you like it :)

starrygalz's icon Author: starrygalz
(link)
  sorry to bother you..but i am still not sure about the part on changing the code...where do we find the 'url' box at??and where's HTML??

(link)
  You download the HTML of blogskins, or off a website (like photokicho). THe URL box is found at http://www.photobucket.com/ when you sign up for an account and upload images.

yuangeok's icon Author: yuangeok
(link)
  wow.. thnks! yurihime.. u've helped thousands solved their problems.. but whn i download the pictures from kicho i cannot see them.. =S

runher01's icon Author: runher01
(link)
  where can i find the images to upload? i don't see any on the screen when i go to download.

(link)
  In the code that you download, there should be a source code for images. If you copy and paste them into IE or Mozilla, it will open up a image where you can right-click and save.

The example that I'm using here are zip files from our website, which contain all of the images ^^

icklepom20's icon Author: icklepom20
(link)
  i put the image on my server and it still doesnt show up on my blogger, it should be of love and cherry blossoms ' but it shows only the layout changed no image.. could u help me? sorry for being a nuisance..

(link)
  tis ok icklepom20.
have you change the source code in the template to the new address of the image on your server?
have you made sure the image has no spaces between the name?
the last thing I can think of is whether or not the image has been uploaded correctly on the server ^^
tell me if it helps or not.

klsz's icon Author: klsz
(link)
  Hey... I'm a newbie user. I don't really get how this site works.

i know how to do all those above. but i do not know where i can find the scripts... what i did was i uploaded the pics into my server. I wonder if there are zip files that i should download rather than just getting the url of the pic. =/

(link)
  Only some users with websites offer the layouts in zip format. Most of the time you will have to get the image of the script, and then saving it onto your hardrive and then uploading it.
The script you should be able to find when you download the txt. file. I'm not really sure what you are asking =D

usefool's icon Author: usefool
Posted: 10.9 years ago
(link)
  sorry...another noob here...i downloaded a blogskin n copied everyting in the notepad into the big whiter box under template (using blogger.com)...there are no images invovled to upload...den after i republish the blog n view blog, only the blog skin appeared n all my posts don't appear..can u help me solve the prob? thanks :)

satrianna's icon Author: satrianna
(link)
  are you sure you downloaded a skin for blogger? :/

(link)
  so the images do show up? or is it an imageless skin?
and same as what satrianna said, does it have the blogger codes?

(link)
  erm...wat r blogger codes? Under "Actions" i clicked the "Blogger Main" and downloaded it and straight away copied everything in the notepad and replace what i previously had in the white box under templates. the blogskin showed up...but i only c the blogskin and the blogger dashboard...all my posts dun appear

(link)
  You have to have the blogger "codes" to have your posts show up. You put this in the various places where they are meant to go... i.e. the "entry" layer, or the centre of the table, etc.

GENERAL
<$BlogTitle$> -The title of the blog
<$BlogDescription$> -Blog decription
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$> -Header Date

<$BlogItemBody$> -Displays the Entry/Post
<$BlogItemTitle$> -Title for each post
<$BlogItemDateTime$> -Time that the entry was published/posted
<$BlogItemAuthor$> - The author of a post, using both the first and last names.
<$BlogItemAuthorNickname$> - The Display Name of the author of a post.
<$BlogItemAuthorEmail$> - The email address of the author of a post.
<$BlogItemAuthorURL$> - The homepage URL of the author of a post.
<$BlogItemNumber$> - The unique ID number of the post

ARCHIVES
<BloggerArchives>
<a href='<$BlogArchiveURL$>'><$BlogArchiveName$> </a>
</BloggerArchives>

PREVIOUS POSTS
<BloggerPreviousItems>
<a href="<$BlogItemPermalinkURL$>">
<$BlogPreviousItemTitle$>
</a><br />
</BloggerPreviousItems>

(link)
  okies...thanks a million :)

carmen3118's icon Author: carmen3118
(link)
  Sorry to trouble you, but how to take a screenshot ?

anselyf's icon Author: anselyf
(link)
  erm... i am another noob i mean a newbie.... how do u download skins? :P

(link)
  OK... To Download Skins

It's relatively simple. I've annotated a screenshot for you to refer to: http://www.fulan.com/photokicho/images/blogskins/screenshots/blogskinsdownloading.jpg

On that screenshot, where I've written "you click on one of the options here" that's exactly what I mean. You click on one of them to get the layout in blogger, xanga and moveable type. You click on your corresponding one, and you should receive a prompt to download it. You save, and you will end up with a txt file.

You will be able to open that up in Notepad to edit.

To Take screenshots

You just hit print screen... or "PrtScn" and paste into photoshop, painter, Microsoft Paint... Word, publisher... etc. etc. lolz

yashrg's icon Author: yashrg
(link)
  i guess my question is straight forward for u...how do i know where exactly in the middle of all that mumbojumbo html do i put those code?

carmen3118's icon Author: carmen3118
(link)
  Thank you!! ^^

(link)
  yashrg:
In the middle of the mumbojumbo you should find something that says "Img src" and then a link =D

yashrg's icon Author: yashrg
(link)
  its not just about the image. i know how to change the image links. the problem is with the main posts, post titles, images in the posts and the blogger profile in the sidebar and the blog description and stuff that appears on the blogger templates-Its nothing there in the splat! template.

cicakgirl's icon Author: cicakgirl
(link)
  Hellow Yurihime.. I wanna ask you something.
I have a fav skin and really want to use it. But, the fonts are so difficult to read, like it has shadow (do you know what I mean? If you have time, please go to my profile and see my fav. skin..)

Do you have some code to make the fonts normal? Thanks..

(link)
  cicakgirl
i know what you're talking about... i've gone to your profile but I can't see your fav skin. Do you happen to have zone-alarm or another internet security? and what browser do u use?

(link)
  Uh-oh.. you can't see my fav skin? My browser is IE. Well i'll give you the link. http://www.blogskins.com/info/41713

Can you see and solve my prob? 100000000 thanks... lol :)

(link)
  i dont think I can solve your problem because on my computer it turns out fine on firefox but strange in IE... I've had the same problems with some of my other skins, but its always been because of my internet security. ^^
sorry i couldnt help

(link)
  Oooooohhhh.. but it's okay! :D keep making good skins!!!

lia717's icon Author: lia717
(link)
  how do u add your profile to the downloaded skin?i mean when i click on the profile,it doesnt say anything..its only my entries that are being published onto the downloaded skin...the rest isnt

(link)
  Normally you just type your profile into the part where it says "abt you here" or "your profile"

lia717's icon Author: lia717
(link)
  im stillnot sure how i can make my profile appear on the downloaded skin...i mean,all i see are my entries,but when i click on my profile it wont appear on the skin i downloaded...help =(

(link)
  i kind of dont understand what you're saying... or how that could happen.
what skin are you using?
do you have a link?

berijoy's icon Author: berijoy
Posted: 10.8 years ago
(link)
  i'm having trouble also. my skin shows up fine on the site, but i don't seem to have any posts there anymore. i can't figure out why not as the blogger codes are in tact. someone mentioned a firewall. any idea what to look for? i'm using zone alarm.

thanks.

berijoy's icon Author: berijoy
(link)
  p.s. my site is www.egyirba.net but you will see there only the skin and no posts.

wickedbride's icon Author: wickedbride
(link)
  can i also do this in livejournal.com?

combatshotgun's icon Author: combatshotgun
(link)
  Ah, too bad I don't use Blogger. I'll have to change the codes myself without any professional help.

geekyastheyget's icon Author: geekyastheyget
(link)
  hi! im new here and have absolutly no talent in the html/coding neighborhood.
heres the deal, i followed this guide to the tee, but when i inserted the code into blogger, it wouldnt work adn said this: "Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed: "
what does this mean and how can i fix it?!?
thanx!

(link)
  1)you'd have to work out what tag didnt work (geeyastehyget)
2)People using ZONE ALARMcatorgories there should be some things listed there. trial and error untick the boxes until you find the box that blocks the posts.
3)Wickedbride yes you can do this in livejournal, its just the last step which would be different.
4)You actually have to type in your profile in the hole (lia717) that the designers make for you. "Your profile here" etc. there is no code that would make your blogger profile appear on your blog, this you would have to do manually.

ikandilys's icon Author: ikandilys
Posted: 10.7 years ago
(link)
  Hello . Umm , Sorry to trouble you but i'd like to ask you regarding how to generate the html code from a skin you made or rather , how do you even make a blogskin . I already made a design in photoshop (:

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Subscribe To This Thread: RSS 2.0 or Atom (?)
This thread has been locked, and no new replies can be posted.

Site

- Home
- About
- Feeds
- Privacy Policy
- Contact Us

Skins

- Tags
- Search Skins
- All Skins
- Random Skin
- Skin Of The Day
- Contribute

Forums

- General
- Tips & Tricks
- Help!
- Suggestions
- Skin Requests
- Blogging Software
- Web Hosting

Account

- Register
</BlogSkins>

Warning! Do not follow this link! It is a trap for poorly-behaved bots. If you follow this link, you will be banned from accessing this site and several others. I will not have mercy on you. Do not follow this link!